Saturday, November 22, 2014

Easy, Cheesy, Calzone Pizza



A few months ago, I added calzones into our dinner rotation. I used a great pizza crust recipe, I used ricotta and mozzarella cheeses like a typical Italian place, but there always seemed to be something...off. 

Either there was too much crust and not enough toppings, or the flavor was just too flat. I even tried dipping the calzone in garlic butter, but it wasn't the same as those amazing calzones we get from our local pizza place.

And then I had a brainstorm.


The problem with making calzones was that the top crust puffed up so much and the filling melted so far down, that it tasted like crust with a bit of cheese inside. No flavor, just bread.

So instead of wrapping the crust around the filling, why not just top the crust with the cheese and mushrooms? Like a pizza? A calzone pizza!

The result was a total winner (and super filling!). Here's what you'll need:

Calzone Pizza

Crust:
3 c. bread flour
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
2 1/4 tsp. rapid rise or bread machine yeast
1 c. warm water
2 Tbsp olive oil

Toppings:
2 Tbsp melted butter
3 cloves minced garlic
8 oz. ricotta cheese
8 oz. shredded mozzarella
your favorite spices (I used oregano, onion powder, and parsley)
your preferred toppings (I used mushroom)

Start by making the crust. Mix the bread flour, sugar, salt, and yeast together in a large bowl (if you are substituting a different kind of yeast, you'll probably need to use a different amount and follow a different process). Once combined, add the warm water (not hot) and olive oil. Stir until the dough comes together, then knead (you can keep it in the bowl while you do this) until the dough is no longer sticky. (You can also use your favorite pizza dough from the supermarket. Publix makes a great one.)

Let dough rest for 15-30 minutes. Yep. That's it.

Meanwhile, spray a large pizza pan with cooking spray (if you're using a pizza pan) and start on the garlic butter. Melt the 2 Tbsp of butter in the microwave and stir in the minced garlic. Wash and slice your toppings (if necessary). 

Once the dough has rested, simply plop it in the middle of your pizza pan and get to smushin'! You don't need a rolling pin or anything, just press it into the pan with your fingers until it reaches the edges of the pan. If it's giving you trouble, you might have to let it rest a few minutes more.

Brush the dough with the melted butter mixture and let it absorb into the dough a bit. Spread the ricotta cheese evenly, then add your favorite spices (oregano and onion powder, here!). Top with your veggies/meat of choice, then cover everything with the shredded mozzarella. Don't be shy here. Cheese is no place to be stingy.

Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes, until the cheese is brown and bubbly. Top with a light dusting of dried parsley and serve!

I served this with a small salad and it was super filling! We only ate half that night (which means lunch leftovers for me!).

The best part was when my dad called me while I was making it.

Dad: Well, I'll let you get back to cooking. I gotta make dinner, too. I'm making salads for me and your mom.

Me: Salads? That's it?

Dad: Yeah, big salads. We do that a lot lately. 

Me: Oh. I'm making an open faced calzone. So, basically, like a calzone pizza.

Dad: Oh MAN. Homemade?!

That pretty much sums up my feelings about this dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment