Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Best Books of 2013



I do a lot of reading and I have developed the rather obsessive habit of writing down a list of every book I read, along with a rating system of how much I liked it (yes, I am a huge nerd). No stars means the book was good enough to finish, but didn't blow me away. One star means the book kept me reading. Two stars means I was in awe of the plot, writing, or characters and I would wholeheartedly recommend it. Three stars means the same as two stars, but that it also made me cry (less than a dozen books have ever gotten this rating).

These were the best (but not all of the) books I read during the year 2013. These are not (all) books that were published in 2013.

Divergent / Insurgent / Allegiant (**), by Veronica Roth
I heard this was a good series to start once you finished The Hunger Games, and just...wow. I already love dystopian novels, so it wasn't a hard sell. With the moving coming out soon, you'll want to get caught up on this series that's full of plot twists you didn't see coming. This series is what happens when everybody in society is forced to answer the age-old question, "What is the best way to prevent war?" 

The Magician King (**) by Lev Grossman
I had read Grossman's The Magicians a few years ago and was so happy to catch this sequel (quite by accident) on the library shelf. This what happens when Harry Potter has a lovechild with The Chronicles of Narnia and that kid grows up to become rather surly and rebellious. 

Watership Down (***) by Richard Adams
Rabbits? Really? Yes, really. I promise you, they are the most bad-ass rabbits you have ever come across. I don't like war/battle books and I don't like movies or commercials with talking animals. But I still loved this book. See the 3-star rating? That means I cried.

A Year of Biblical Womanhood (**) by Rachel Held Evans
Can feminism live hand-in-hand with Christianity? How should women interpret all of those sexist-sounding verses in the New Testament? Evans tackles the question of women's place in the church with determination and stunning revelations. She's received a lot of flack from the Christian community for being too liberal-minded (she believes in evolution; I don't), but I found her historical backgrounds refreshing and heartening. I learned that to truly understand the Bible, you have to look at it through the lenses of its historical context, tease out the meaning, and look for other perspectives within the book in order to be able to apply it to your life. Let's just say that I'm no longer wary of female pastors.

Prude: How the Sex-Obsessed Culture Damages Girls (and America, Too!) (**) by Carol Platt Leibau
A few years ago, I read (and bought) A Return to Modesty by Wendy Shalit and was forced to confront our generation's sex obsession head-on. But this book not only points out how sex-obsessed young girls are, but all the reasons why it hurts them and what we can do to stop it. After Miley Cyrus' unfortunate twerking incident last year, can we really afford to put off purity any longer?

The Heart is a Lonely Hunter (**) by Carson McCullers
I started this book as an exercise in reading literature the way I did when I was an English major in college, and quickly realized just how brilliant McCullers is. The friendship between two deaf men—the Jewish Mr. Singer and the Greek Mr. Antonapoulos—was slightly Biblical, and beautifully haunting. The heart is lonely, indeed, as each character struggles to find their own place in a town full of other lonely people.

The Impossible Lives of Greta Wells (*) by Andrew Sean Greer
We've all imagined what our lives would have been like if we'd lived in a different time. This book lets us see how Greta cycles through no less than three different lives and how she juggles them. But, true to form, nothing is ever perfect.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower (***) by Stephen Chbosky
I couldn't believe how long it took me to pick up this book! This is a classic coming-of-age story, but it doesn't feel hashed out or forced. Most teenagers (hey, most adults, too) toe the line between being authentic and socially appropriate. But it comes easier to some people than others. Three stars. Cried.

Gone Girl (**) by Gillian Flynn
I put off reading this book for a long time. I had read Flynn's other novels (Dark Places and Sharp Objects) and wasn't sure I could handle something so gritty. I'm glad I did. Her twists really are epic.

Under the Harrow (**) by Mark Dunn
A group of orphans was abandoned by their caretakers in the nineteenth century, left with only a Bible, the Encyclopedia, and the entire works of Charles Dickens. With limited contact with the outside world, they have built a lovely community. But when a 12-year-old goes missing, his uncle will stop at nothing to find him and uncover the secrets hiding beneath the town's surface.

The Thinking Woman's Guide to Real Magic (**) by Emily Croy Barker
Not as morose as Lev Grossman's series, this is another "what-if-magic-was-real?" book. Except in this book (series, hopefully?), magic as we think of it only exists in another world. (Our world's magic? Math. Seriously, how awesome is this chick?) I was fascinated by the realistic magic Barker created. This is not your easy "wave a wand and say these words," but something that takes full study and concentration. Barker really put some thought into this one.

The Great Gatsby (**) by F. Scott Fitzgerald
This was another "Why did I take so long to read this" book. You probably all read it in high school, but I was homeschooled from 6th grade on, so I was never forced to read it. 

UnMarketing (*) by Scott Stratten
I don't usually read business marketing books, but I've been helping my husband with his web design/internet marketing startup and I needed some background. UnMarketing looks at the road sign labeled "Cold Calling Sales Ahead," makes a U-turn, and laughs its way to authenticity. Why market to your customers the way you hate to be marketed to? Exactly. 

The River of No Return (**) by Bee Ridgway
Time travel, secret societies, and conspiracy theories. I was amazed at the layers of detail that were put into the plot of this book. Time travel is possible, but only certain people can do it. And now, there's a war on between time travelers. Yeah. Go read it.

The Fault In Our Stars (***) by John Green
THIS. BOOK. It totally lives up to all the hype. Maybe it was different for me (having experienced my own grief at watching my daughter die) than it will be for you. But I doubt it. It is endlessly quotable; my favorites include "Grief doesn't change you...it reveals you" and "I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, then all at once." The great works about death seem to go one of two ways: either death gives us the opportunity to experience earth's beauty in a beautiful new way, or it is merely a part of life and every living thing on earth must die and see death so there is no use exalting it. Green manages to simultaneously go both ways and makes death seem both mundane and profound.   

David & Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits, and the Art of Battling Giants (**) by Malcolm Gladwell
If you only read one book next year, make it this one. Gladwell starts with the oft-repeated story of David & Goliath and points out all the reasons why it is sometimes better to be the "underdog." I have gone through a lot of struggles during this past year, and now have a completely new understanding/appreciation for hardships and what they're doing in my life. While not written from a Christian perspective, several verses were brought to mind (and proved to be true) while reading this book. Verses like: "It is more blessed to give than to receive" (Acts 20:35) and "Consider it pure joy [...] when you face trials and tribulations of many kinds" (James 1:2). If you've ever wondered how certain people can remain joyful and hopeful during a troublesome situation, this book is a must-read.

No comments:

Post a Comment