Monday, April 14, 2014

Passover Macaroons

I spent the first few years of our marriage kinda freaking out about Passover every year. What meals could I make? What meals could I adapt? What would I have to give up?

It took a few years to get the hang of it, but I think I've gotten the whole diet pretty figured out by now. My husband and I are (semi) kosher (we eat white meat with dairy, but not red meat). We also follow the Sephardic rules of Passover, which means we do eat rice and corn and don't worry about getting the "special" Coke. After all, the Bible just said no leavening, not "no grains." (If grains weren't allowed, then matzo wouldn't be either! It's made from flour!)
Tonight's dinner was actually gluten heavy, because we managed to eat before sundown, but I managed to Jew it back up with one of my favorite Passover treats: coconut macaroons.

I used to buy the store brand every year (and loved them), but once I started making these, there was no going back. Believe me, I tried. The homemade ones are chewy, stick-in-your-teeth balls of deliciousness that I could shovel into my mouth like Garfield scarfs down lasagna. 
Enjoy.

Passover Coconut Macaroons

14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
14 oz. bag sweetened shredded coconut
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350. Mix all ingredients together and drop by spoonfuls onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until cookies are golden brown. Let cool on baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack (if you move them while they are too hot, they will fall apart).

No comments:

Post a Comment